Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

(grabs soap box and megaphone) This is my feminist rant of the day

So today we went to Diddam's, (which is a party store chain that sells awesome halloween stuff) to buy the components of a dark angel costume for my preteen sister (and possibly a helm for me).
I was helping her shop, and thats when I ran into an aisle of costumes like this*:


Needless to say, I was horrified. Almost every women's costume in the entire store was by the same company, and looked more suited to strip clubs than trick or treating.

I am five foot seven, and a women's medium/large, and although I plan on making my own knight costume this year (it's gonna be really good), as my sister Jayne looked for black angel wings and a mask, I asked The Question.
The Question that is frowned upon (or at least considered prudish) in our modern society:

"Do you have any adult women's costumes that come below the knee?** Because I want to find something I can wear without shame as a teenager."

A woman in the next aisle over laughed and I heard her say "Not likely".
The guys I asked just sort of stuttered for a minute and then said something along the lines of, "Um.. Well... There's Spider-woman... and we have some... greek stuff?"

Needless to say, the Question made me a customer of intrest in the Diddam's , and one of the guys came over every few minutes asking if we were finding everything ok. (To his credit, he was a really nice guy, and actually said at one point, "I think whores probably wear more clothes than that, and would be ashamed to put that on")

We wandered about through the aisles, pointing out the costumes that were modest ("Hey look! You could be a nun... with a whip!"), and Jayne finally decided on a pair of dark blue shimmery wings and a little black mask. We paid and left.
That was it.

Nobody else in the store had seemed the slight bit disturbed by the costumes, or even the life size cardboard cutouts of small women with large breasts wearing them. Not even a tic.
I think that's the scariest thing of all this Halloween.

Lady Elisabeth


*I used this picture, because it's the Alice in Wonderland costume. I would like to remind you all, that in the stories by Lewis Carroll (who I'm certain would be more shocked than I, and probably more insulted), Alice Liddel was seven years old. This dress might fit a seven year old.

**Usually I would have added "and not slutty," but at that moment, I was willing to settle for just below the knee. Or even the ability to bend over.

No comments:

Post a Comment