Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

A rambley post about everything.

Hi there. So I realized that there was a whole bunch of stuff I meant to tell you about last week and forgot, as well as the disaster that is my April fools.

So this post will probably be long and meaningless, with no discernible segues, but bear with me.

So last weekend I had the almost imponderable joy of watching Jayne dance in her ballet school's spring showcase.

But I also got to help out, because I'm a helpful volunteer. And also the only volunteer who isn't a parent, but I don't like to brag.

So I was promptly put to work at watching the younger kids and making sure they don't wander off.

I helped with three different age groups:

4-6, "the tinies." these are the hardest to watch, because they're really little. The plus side is that as a fifteen year old, I'm the most exciting thing ever.

10-12, "the easies," are exactly that. They simply read their books, and occasionally ask to go outside. The only problem is that they can be kind of boring, because you're pretty much ceremonial.
Although one of my easies gave me a friendship bracelet. Thank you Isabelle. I hope that's the proper spelling of your name.

And finally,

8-11, "the goldens" my favorite to watch because they're old enough that you aren't herding cats, but they're young enough to find you interesting.

That was a really final and super exhausting weekend, and I wasn't even the one dancing.

Ok, now let's fast forward a bit to the Hunger Games, because I totally forgot to review it.

I liked it in general. I was right that Jennifer Lawrence was a good Katniss, although she's waaaaaay taller than Josh Hutchinson which was hilarious.

They cut to Gale a couple times, which I found kind of cheesy. Plus it incited the people behind me to say "omg, Jacob!" This made me almost throw my straw at them. Fun fact about Liam Hemsworth: his brother plays Thor. Also he's dating Miley Cyrus, but I really don't give a crap about that.

I really liked Amandla Steinberg as Rue. She was excellent. I just wish she'd had more screen time.

The wolves angered me. In the book I imagined them sleek and and graceful, with human eyes. In the movie they were mangy cats with human ears.
No.

Peeta was perfectly captured, although he had one slightly creepy "Cullen-esque" line, where he said that he watched Katniss walk home from school everyday.
Potato's little sister and Jayne agree that that's creepy, even though they aren't allowed to read/watch.

I think that's the best film review I've ever written. Maybe if I show my film teacher it'll make up for the really crappy ones I've given him all year...

You may know that it's April fools day. I had this great piece planned that involved me handing out festively wrapped lemons to random people.

If I have learned one thing today, it is that nobody trusts a really polite teenager giving out gifts.

WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL?
You're all good with telling your children that a fat man watches them sleep, and rewards them for being good, but you're not at all cool with a friendly stranger giving you a gift???

Why?

Do you think I'm a terrorist? (This is America so I wouldn't put it past you...)

Do you think I want money? Because people who want money TOTALLY give stuff away!

Sigh. I'm going to go make some lemonade. Yay irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment