Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Safeway.

So yesterday, my mom was sick, and Jayne was depressed. I was neither, and we needed milk, mac and cheese and ice cream, and vanilla extract. Also Suburbia has lots of sidewalks, and a Safeway within walking distance.
So my mom gave me twenty bucks and I left.

The walk there was pretty uneventful (although I did get honked at and given a really creepy smile by a construction guy...) and then I got there.

This is where the weird started happening.

First I got the milk, and the milk we get looks like this: (my dad's lactose intolerant.)


So I picked up a thing of milk, and put it in the basket. Then I realized I got the one that has lactose, which looks like this:
This is not the right milk. So I tried putting it back on the shelf, but Safeway has one of those spring loaded shelves that make it really hard to put stuff back. And the milk was off the top shelf. Oops.
So I'm jumping and pushing on this milk, trying to put away this unwanted vitamin enriched milk, and this old lady who could have win a "really grumpy Betty White lookalike contest" just stares at me.

I can almost hear the "Stupid ass kids ruining our neighborhood" running through her brain.
Finally I got it back and grabbed the right one (It was by the soy milk), and ran to the ice cream isle.

I knew what Jayne wanted (Ben and Jerry's Whirled Peace) so I ran to the Ben and Jerry's section... and it was the only one they didn't have. And I 'm banging my head against the glass, when I remember, "I HAVE MY PHONE!!!!!"

So I called the house, and longer story shortish, I got her the Steven Colbert's Americone Dream.

Then I had to find the vanilla extract, and realized that I have no frickin' idea where vanilla extract is.
Crap.

So I ran around the whole store trying to find a helpful Safeway employee, and I finally found a nice guy named Jun in produce, who conveniently knew that extracts are in baking. I guess that makes sense...

So finally, I had everything!! Yay!

So I headed to the checkout, and the guy rang me up. And then I remembered that the Safeway is in Generica, not Suburbia. And in Generica, they charge ten cents for a bag.

And of course, Friendly Safeway Guy didn't tell me this. Thanks FSG.
And double of course, I had every stinkin' coin besides a dime. Crap again.

So finally I just give him a dollar, and while he was giving me my change, I found a dime in my wallet.
But I got the bag, and that was a small victory... except that it didn't have handles.

So I walked home hugging a freezing bag for maybe half a mile (but it still wasn't fun) in my high heels, because I had forgotten that their higher than my old ones.

I finally get home, and put away the perishables, and my mom asks,
"How was it?"



No comments:

Post a Comment